The Three Strand Cord

Ecclesiastes 4:12 "if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart." This blog is a forum for 3 of the Paris brothers to discuss stuff. Everyone is welcome to join in the discussion--in the abundance of counselors there is victory -Proverbs 11:14

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Book review- not really

I have been reading the book Stories of Emergence compilled by Yoconelli. Last nights chapter was interesting. It was written by Brad Cecil. That may not be significant to you, but it is for me. I had Brad's daughter Bethany, as an AWA camper back in 98. Bethany is the grandaughter of Harry Bollback. Brad left Word of Life while at Dallas theological cemetary and started Axxess, an emerging church.

A good quote from Brad's chapter: "We have turned God into a consumer comodity, and religious leaders are the vendors. My sincere prayer is that the postmodern transition will cause a reformation in North American Christianity and that we will learn a new expression of Christianity to present to the world--a simple, humble, relational expression, people sharing life together, rocognizing our limitations, and living in faith."

4 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Pastor Mike Paris said...

Todd,
thanks for the review. I have what I consider to be one of the good "fuel your fire" youth books by Yaconelli (Back to the Heart of Youth Ministry)

I wonder sometimes if the emergent church (EC) is all that humble. I think sometimes breaking from tradition makes us more proud. "Hey look at me, I can do my own thing"

I like the relational bent and the challenge of "why we do what we do".

Is emergence simply a new way of defining "spiritual leadership". This all seems very funny that the labels are shifting in a culture that is becoming more and more intolerant of labels!

Mike

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Todd Paris said...

Mike, interestingly enough, axxess was started as a ministry of the local church and is still connected in some way. Think of it as a cultural ministry of the local church, ie: spanish ministry etc. a program to reach those who wouldn't be reached with the current programs.

I also enjoyed Yaconelli's book Messy spirituality. I actually picked up his youth ministry book right before I bought this one.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger hcfischer1 said...

Todd,
If you are interested in some emerging/emergent church stuff there are many links on my blog (pro and con).
If memory serves, I don't think Brad Cecil left WOL Florida on amicable terms.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Dan K. said...

I used to go to a camp that Brad Cecil was a director of. Do we exactly know why he left Word of Life fellowship? I was young then and have been searching to see what happened and what he's doing now. Thanks for any help with this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home